Thursday, May 10, 2012

Weird library building


As the daughter of an architect, I consider myself more than average interested in buildings. I also love books, so it is probably not a surprise that I go to visit libraries whenever I go abroad. Large cities often put a lot of pride in having beautiful library buildings, just look at the new library in Alexandria, Egypt, designed by the Norwegian Snøhetta, who also designed the opera in Oslo.

Then some cities tend to take things a bit further. Like the one above, which is a library in Kansas City, Missouri. It is funny, and somewhat interesting, but in my opinion not very beautiful. The idea was to let the fasade of the building be covered with books that have been important to Kansas City. If we were to make a similar building in Oslo, which books do you think would cover the fasade?

Talking of Kansas, here is a famous song from a very famous film about a girl from Kansas, the state that is, not the city.

4 comments:

  1. must have taken a long time to paint those books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was kindly pointed out to me that this is Kansas the CITY (which is in the state of Missouri) and not Kansas the state. The comment was lost, but it is now fixed. Thank you for being aware when I´m not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's actually a covering that was printed. From inside you can even see out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That is cool:) I understand this was linked to on an American site. Thank you for adding info!

      Delete

I want to hear your thoughts, leave a comment!